Thursday, September 6, 2012

oohps

With two bags slung over each of my shoulders, I made my way out of the classroom, hurrying, hoping to get my hands on the better conbini bentos before everyone else. Should I get the one with all the tempura on it, or the healthier fish one? I should definitely pass on the fried chicken bento though. It's evil as pie!! 1050 fuckin' calories lurk within its deliciousness, and  despite my addiction for fried chicken, it's not worth the jog I'll have to do later at the gym. Hungry thoughts raced through my mind and my stomach growled and just when my feet were about to go down a flight of stairs, I heard a "Wait! Please!" I turned around, and saw my student's head poking out from behind the door. "Can I please send you?" He asked with a sheepish smile. I took that to mean that he wanted to give me a lift on his bike again. I've become an expert and deciphering broken English sentences. Hm. Well, at least he didn't say 'Can I please ride you?' I smiled and nodded my head. I hate walking in the summer heat, and I wanted a good conbini lunch. So sure!

As thankful as I was about the lift, I can't help but have a hunch about this guy, my 50-some-year-old student whom I teach, and it's not the nicest of hunches either. I always felt like he ( and I don't want to sound conceited or anything) likes me. Yes, it's great to be liked, and it's really great to be liked by your students. But when they like you, have a crush on you, it swings 180 degrees.

It's difficult to explain a gut feeling. He's never said that he has a crush on me, or that he fantasizes about me out loud, but the feeling you get when you feel somebody's eyes on you, or when they are excessively giddy and happy when they meet you, or when they try to be subtle about invites to a drink or two, is unmistakable. You can't miss it, and it makes you uncomfortable, but at that stage, nothing really can be done about it yet.

So shit.




No comments:

.