Friday, March 4, 2011

birthday eve

Eiko says...

It's the 4th of March, which means that tomorrow is my Birthday. I've only got a few precious hours left to being 19, and I can't believe I'm at work, teaching English in a freakin' striped dress shirt! Oh, well. This is life.

My 19th year has been the best year yet, and it's such a shame it's coming to an end. I wish I could stay 19 a bit longer, but at the same time, I'm glad I'm finally going to be out of my 'teens'. I'm tired of my students freaking out over the fact that I'm not yet 20! When they are curious enough about my age, (being 19 is not something I advertise when I'm working at an office, teaching people older than me in suits and such) I usually get them to guess how old they think I am, and often, they go way off!! The number-one WORST guess really made me feel like running to the nearest mirror to check for any white hairs and extra wrinkles!

Student: Are you married yet? If so, than do you have any children?
Me: *cough* Yeah, um. I'm not really thinking about marriage right now. Same goes with children, really. I think I'll give that a few years.
Student: Really?
Me: Yes. Reeaally.
Student: Excuse me, but how old are you?
Me: Ah! Here goes. Well, how old do you think I am?
Student: Hm. 32?
Me: Oh my. *cough* No.
Student: 35?
Me: *cough cough* No, no, no.
Student: 38??
Me: No where near correct.
Student: Oh, my goodness! Are you in your 40's!?
Me: Geeeezzus, woman, NO!
Student: Oh.... wait.... are you still in your teteteeeeeens? Gasp! You're 19?!
Me: ....
Student: ....
Me: Yup.
Student: ...

You see. And that's when I felt like making a dash to the nearest mirror!! Aaaaanyhow. I really don't look that old. I think it's just the dress shirt and the way I have to hold myself since I'm in an office. Hm. Actually, the above conversation happened just the other day in a non-business setting. In a bar, actually. A group of middle aged, over weight men from Tennessee were drinking a table away from me and my boss. We all started talking and the guy nearest to me asked me straight out if I was married. I rolled my eyes to this and said no. My boss thought it was hilarious and asked the group to guess my age, and that they'd never get it right. I assume they thought I was much older than I looked, because when the guessing began, it went seomething like...

"Let's be nice. She's 32."
"What are you talking about? 28!"
"She's 33, the age Christ died for our sins!"
"She could be in her 40's, you know..."

OMG!

So, really, it's about time I turn 20.

And I feel like doing something outrageous! Any ideas? Well, tomorrow, on my Birthday, me and friends are going drinking to an Izakaya, and that's gotta be fun. But! I want to do something before I turn 2 decades old! Argh! Can't believe I'm at work, in this freakin' dress shirt! Ridiculous.

No comments:

.