Wednesday, August 4, 2010

here, take my seat

Eiko says...

On the train back from Shibuya, all hot and sweaty and tired, squashed against strangers like sardines in a can, holding on to the bar for dear life in the moving train, I saw something beautiful take place.

The business man who was sitting in front of me started getting out of his seat, put his bag where his ass once was in order to keep the seat secure, and began shifting towards I-have-no-idea-what. I was clueless as to what he was trying to do, and tried to make sense of his actions. Moving out of his snug seat through human-sardines in a jostling train during rush hour? Honestly, I questioned his mental stability. Well, a few moments later I found out that he was probably the most mentally stable human on this train as I saw him leading a woman who looked around 7 months pregnant through the maze of humans against humans, and offered her his seat! She seemed to be exhausted and in pain, and I was so proud of that businessman for noting her in this crowded train, where everybody is smooshed up against everybody else. He just earned the 'Knight-in-shining-armor-title' of the day!

What I really wanted to know was what the HELL was wrong with all the big-time-Losers who were sitting closer to this obviously pregnant woman and didn't offer her a seat! She was literally the 'damsel in distress' desperately needing a hero! The pathetic part about it was that she was surrounded by able bodied humans who could have easily been her hero! There weren't any wild beasts or evil mythical monsters to fight off in order to rescue her from the pain she was feeling! All she needed was someone who was selfless enough to get back on their tired feet, fight back the pride, and offer her a place to sit. There should have been at least a dozen guys throwing themselves at her to lend her a hand! Unfortunately there was only one of them that cared enough. And he wasn't even sitting close to her!!
What a messed up world!

Yeah, SUPER messed up!! I mean, after witnessing this heroic act unfold before my very eyes, I wanted to celebrate the beauty of the moment with someone, and so turned to Boris who was squashed against me and began praising the kind business man who was such a gentleman--the only gentleman in the cart, apparently. Then Boris let out a long sigh as she shifted her heeled feet from side to side and said,

"That's exactly why I wanted to purchase one of those pregnant-mommy-tummy-suits! With one of those strapped on, and a bit of acting on my part, I would have a seat of my own by now!"

Well, Boris, at this rate, fat chance! If the businessman didn't notice the real pregnant lady, she would still be seat-less and suffering!

3 comments:

Kari said...

Heya Eiko,
I clicked on your blog on a whim and wanted to agree with your post.
When I was in LABOUR with Amelie and on the train people looked at me and looked away. I was in too much pain to ask for a seat but in the back of my mind I was pissed as that no one offered one to an obviously struggling 9mth pregnant woman (even if she was a tall fat gaijin with 2 kids and a stroller)
One middle aged business man came up to me and offered me his seat and I my faith in humanity was restored.
I say prayers of thanks for him every now and then, cos I wish I could have told him how much I appreciated it -in between huffing and puffing. :P

Anonymous said...
This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.
Eyeliner said...

Yeah, Japan is a strange place where the needy are purposely ignored. People make the effort to literally look the other way, as if to keep their vision pure!
So sad!!
Well, I'm glad that angel came to rescue you! I've never been pregnant, but I can only just imagine the discomfort and pain! We need a ton more people like that.

.