Saturday, October 2, 2010

hit and run

Eiko says...

It was just yesterday that I got ran over by a car while riding my bike, and I've got the money to prove it, but apparently, no scars. Here's the long and short of it.

It was a lovely Friday, and I went on my weekly rounds to Lodge Home to help share their provisioned goods from the market with us. I had filled my basket full of fruits and vegetables and also some precious dairy products that are far too expensive to afford in Japan like sour cream and whipped cream and cheese, and was on my way back to my new apartment that I share with Yasu and Dawn. Now, I was being very careful riding my bike, because just the night before, while riding to Lodge Home for some fellowship and fun, despite my being absolutely alert and careful, I got rammed into by a motor bike! Yes, I was wearing my glasses. Yes, I had my light on. Yes, I wasn't speeding. And yes, I flew off my bike and have the bruises to prove it. My BF had given me an hour lecture about being more careful and to be even more responsible than I was being already, for every action that I take; to be the adult, not the child. Which is why, I was ever so alert and ever so careful to make sure that the events of the previous evening would not have to repeat itself due to carelessness on my part.

The light had just turned from red to blue, and even then, I looked both ways like they teach you to do in kindergarten. I'm glad I did too, because there were two cars that were coming from opposite me that had their blinkers on, which signaled that they needed to make the turn. Regardless of the fact that I could have just biked my way across the walk way since my bike was already on the road, ready to be on my way home, I patiently waited for the first car to make the turn and go by. The second car had to slow down for the first car to take the move, and since it was still at a distance, and since the driver saw me press against my pedal to get moving, I was under the impression that he would obey the traffic rules and stop his car, and wait until the coast was clear, and I was out of hitting range. But apparently, the driver was a complete idiot. Because despite the fact that he saw me making my way across the road, and despite the traffic rules, and despite the fact that there was no way in the universe that he would not hit me if he decided to NOT step on the breaks, (which wouldn't have been too hard to do being that he wasn't speeding or anything) he did NOT stop and ran right into me, and sent me flying through the air, with all the vegetables and fruits and such that was neatly secured in my bike basket.

I remember thinking, "What the hell is the idiot not stopping for when I'm already hitting the half-way-point of the cross way?" Then I remember thinking, "Damn it! I'm flying through the air!" Then I remember trying to get up and contemplating the fact that I had to pick up all the vegies and fruits and dairy products from all over the road, pick my bike up and get the hell out of the middle of the road so that I don't get run over by the next idiot who can't see a girl struggling on the ground, surrounded by scattered groceries.

The idiot who hit me appeared to be in his late 40's and was not apologetic in the least. In fact, he seemed annoyed and in a hurry to get the mess behind him. He did help me pick everything up though, so I'll give him that, although that's the very least he could have done. I remember him asking me questions like, "Are you alright?" I was like, "Dude, you just smashed me over with your car! Of course I'm not alright! Don't make yourself seem even more idiotic than you already made yourself appear by disregarding traffic rules and almost killing me." Anyhow, he pulled out 100 dollars and told me to go to the hospital and get my bike fixed. I remember insisting that I was fine, but I was referring to the fact that I wasn't in a puddle of my own blood and there were no visible wounds on my body. He insisted back, and I had absolutely no shame in taking his money and his name card. I was in way too much shock to think straight, and thinking straight would have been me saying something along the lines of, "100 dollars?! You are officially out of your mind! If I call the police right now, you will at least have your license revoked for a year, not to mention the fine you'll have to pay, if not time in jail! Don't be an idiot. 500 dollars and no less for the hospital bill that I may or may not have to pay, and for the scratch that you gave my bike which cost me 30 dollars!" But unfortunately, the impact of the crash, and the shock I was in completely fucked with my thinking process and all I could think of was getting home, and the sweet relief of being alive and whole with all limbs attached.

Anyway, after insisting that I get a check up, and handing me the money and his card, he drove off, and apparently, that is nothing short of 'hit and run'. But at the moment, while I was basking in the beauty of life and breath, and the money that was in my hand, I couldn't care less.

The fact that I saw no visible ouchies told me that going to work was totally fine. But I started noticing odd pains on my way to work, which increased through the night, and was quite uncomfortable in the morning. I'm determined to get it checked tomorrow, since the discomfort continues, and will be back here with the results.


3 comments:

James said...

Woah Eiko! You're sure a target huh? Glad you're alright. Will be praying for you.
-James

kenfrog said...

blackmail

Rhyden said...

uh blue??? i thought go was green

.