Friday, October 29, 2010

morning activity and family



Eiko says...


Tell me, what are some of the first things you do when you wake up in the morning? Do you stretch? Do you check your clock? Do you do a quick mental rundown of the day's scheduled? Do you stumble your way to the bathroom?
Personally, the first thing I find myself doing is to automatically reach for my mobile phone and check the time. The second thing I do is to see how my back is fairing by stretching a bit. Stumbling to the bathroom is also among the first five things I do when I get up in the morning. And in the process of the first five things I find myself doing, I usually catch my reflection in either a mirror hanging on the wall, or a window. Not really for vanity's sake, but simply for the fact that there are mirrors and windows in my room, and I haven't been in my room long enough to walk around with my eyes closed.
Now, some people wake up looking amazing, and wouldn't be embarrassed even if, let's say, their pervy neighbor was snapping pictures of them from across the street and posting them on the internet, or showing them to their friends. Unfortunately, I'm not a member of this group of people. (Nor am I among the 'pervy neighbor' group, just in case you were wondering.) I am among the majority of people who wake up in the morning and look like they just woke up--sleepy, messy hair, heavy eye lids, slightly slouched shoulders, no make up, heavy steps,
--you get the picture.
On this fine morning, coming out of the bathroom and washing my hands at the sink, I glanced up, caught my morning-face in the mirror, and quickly glanced back at my hands. No use dwelling on the negative. But after washing the soap off my hands, I subconsciously caught my reflection in the mirror again, but this time around, I stared for a few moments into my very familiar face. Godamnit! How boring do you get!? Waking up to this every morning is a bit routine. But what can I do? Like it or not, this face will be mine, and something I'll just have to deal with. Uhhh,...no. Bad idea. I'm not convincing myself here.
"Dawnie," I called out to Dawn who was finishing up breakfast dishes,"I'm thinking bangs. What do you think?"
"Bangs are cool." Was Dawn's simple yet very straightforward answer--the kind of answer I appreciate, especially first thing in the morning when long explanations
of any kind bore me to death, and consequently do very little to help.
"Cool!" I said, as I quickly ran to the kitchen and grabbed the kitchen scissors. After all, there is no time like the present.
"I think it's time to do something about this...face" I said as I grabbed a handful of hair that was messily falling in my face and snipped straight across in one sweeping, confident 'SNIP'.
"Shit!" I happily exclaimed. I was satisfied with how fast it was done, and that it was fairly un-crooked for a first-thing-in-the-morning hair cutting session. I also looked quite different from moments earlier. I got what I wanted.
So now, I have bangs again. I'll most likely start regretting this spontaneous act, but the damage has been done, and I will just have to live with it.



That aside, our little apartment housed all three of my brothers' families! Did I say that right? Yasu's family obviously live here, as it's their apartment. Hiki and Angel and their two cutie-pies are visiting for a while, and Sam and Leika, with their 3 munchies dropped by for dinner! We had a very full and lively house, and I was highly amused by the ever growing Matsuoka Clan. I also realized all over again that my brothers are quite good looking. Each one of them is unique, charming and handsome in their own way, and it all made me smile. I've got beautiful sister in laws as well. Not only are they physically beautiful, but also have personalities that show confidence and maturity. Absolutely overwhelming!
I think I reached a point during our little hang out where I just had to retire from all the awesomeness that I was being exposed to. For one, the population density was quite a bit too much, and the people that were populating the apartment were such complete human beings, with such alive children, I just had to excuse myself to give them all a bit more oxygen and space. That was a crappy explanation for why I retired to my room. In truth, I felt the edge of a cold sneaking up on me. The head ache, the runny nose and heavy feeling were all too familiar symptoms to me and I needed to rest up for work tomorrow. But it was great seeing everybody. I'm very blessed to have grown up with such a wonderful family.

Dad, Mom, look at what you have made! Be proud of this mess!




No comments:

.