Thursday, August 2, 2012

abnormal start to day...

My day is starting off in a very abnormal fashion.


First of all, I was woken up at the ungodly hour of 6:00 am by one of my friends crawling into my bed, obviously hammered with the smell of whiskey lingering in his breath. Ew! And believe it or not, there IS an ew level above whiskey-breath, and that is the combination of said and sharing a mattress with someone in the summer with no air conditioning (or fan)! This was the unfortunate combination that I had to start my day off with. . 

For the remaining 2 hours of my sleep, I tried in vain to fling off sweaty, beefy limbs from off of my already sweaty body and craning my neck away from any foul smells my nose got in contact with. I eventually gave up after figuring out that it was a losing battle, and let the remainder of my sleep be just.. well sweaty and smelly. I would have been in a terrible mood if this had been anybody other than who it was. Fortunately for me and my friend, I like him enough for all this to not bug me up the wall and into some dangerous fit. After getting up, I showered and spent the rest of my morning till I had to leave for work trying to make conversation to my half conscious friend while applying make-up and getting dressed, asking him about the previous night, and why he ended up at my place at the hour he did, etc. His answers were all choppy and slurred with one too many 'say what?'s and I decided not to waste any mental energy trying to make sense of his mumblings. I would have to wait for the explanation until later, or never if he has forgotten.


Secondly, after stepping out into the scorching sun from my apartment, I'm about to make my way to the conbini, when I see a man roughly in his 30's with trendy shades on and a beer in hand walking towards me, seemingly staring my way as if he were trying to make out who I was. When he's just a few steps from me, he slows his pace, and nods in my direction, raises his drink in a 'salut' manner and says 'どうも!’ Since we were right in front of my apartment, I instantly jump to the conclusion that he's one of my neighbors that I failed to recognize. And who the hell says 'どうも’to a complete stranger anyway, right?  Right. So I quickly return the act and nod back with a smile and say 'hi', trying to conceal the fact that my memory is that of Dori's in the film 'Nemo'. To this, a smirk stretches across his tanned face, and he begins to look me up and down, having completely stopped in his tracks by then. At that moment, it was as if I was suddenly gifted with the ability to read thoughts, and I just knew that he was plotting an approach phrase, something cheesy, no doubt! Crap! Not a neighbor! Just some loser who's drinking from noon, hitting on hard-working people like myself! I make my 'ew' face and scurry off.


Wonder what's up next?

No comments:

.