Saturday, December 12, 2009

Eiko is dead.

Eiko says...

I really, REALLY dislike Open House baking. I've been disliking Open House baking for quite a few years now, but I've continued to bake for our yearly Open House despite my negative feelings.

Just like with anything else, I like doing things when I'm inspired to do them, and this certainly applies to baking. I can bake fairly well when I'm inspired about what I'm about to bake. When I'm NOT inspired,...well, it's simply a disaster! That's why I do believe I witness a Christmas Miracle every year when our visitors go ranting and raving about how delicious the no-inspiration-cookies that I've baked are!

This year, like all the other years, I was asked to bake cookies. Unlike all the other years though, I was asked to make the cookies on the last day. This messed with my groove as baking is a big deal for me, and I like planning, and knowing what and when and how I bake whatever I bake. So I quickly looked up a recipe, and spent all day baking cookies and packaging them, going out for ingredient shopping as well as cooking lunch. I was originally on dinner cook as well, but the good Lord knows what I'm NOT capable of, and that would be staying in the kitchen ALL day, and He saved me from that form of torture. Cooking dinner in addition to all the kitchen work I've been doing would have K-I-L-L-E-D me!

Anyway, I was literally exhausted by the end of the day to say the least, and all I could think of after dinner was taking a shower and getting the cookie-smell out of my hair. (Pet Peeve: my hair and clothes smelling like whatever I cooked) So you could imagine how I reacted to my Dad hitting me over the head with a, "Sweetheart, do you think you could bake us a cake for tomorrow's party? I really don't think we could possibly have a Christmas party without a cake!" I'm afraid I let my jaw drop to the ground and left it hanging there while I tried to make sense of the request.

Huh? Bake a cake? Am I suppose to know what that means? How does one bake a cake? I don't know what an oven is. The words flour, sugar, Baking Powder, and even salt can't be found in my vocabulary right now.

etc. etc.

Of course, I did end up baking the cake. In fact, I just pulled out of the oven. It smells like a chocolate cake, so it must be one. After all, I did put cocoa in it.

Now I'm beyond exhausted.

I just found out that I'll be doing all the cooking tomorrow. Wow. Okay, I think I'll need another Christmas Miracle in addition to the visitors liking my baking...I need to somehow be alive tomorrow!

No comments:

.