Saturday, December 26, 2009

I love you, Daddy!

Eiko says...

I came out of my bubble bath last nice smelling good, feeling great, relaxed and ready for bed. The hot bath, alcohol and chocolate really worked their magic and I was almost falling asleep in the tub, so before I really did fall asleep, I stumbled out, dried off, got into comfy Pajamas, and made my way to my futon for a good night's rest. I was exhausted and in need of some serious Zzzzs.

And so I guess my reaction wasn't too cool when I found Dad curled up on my futon, sleeping like a baby...literally.







I let the emotions show.

#$%*6&@2!!!

I nudged him, patted him, poked him, but got no response whatsoever. He was dead out! Exhausted to the bone, no doubt.

But I was too.

I yanked my futon from under him, and curled up on the couch, muttering nonsense under my breath and thinking unpleasant thoughts. I could almost feel the little horns growing on my head. My yanking the cover from under Dad did the trick though, and he stirred, mumbled to himself, and woke up. I got my bed back. I quickly reclaimed my futon before he collapsed back in my bed, and soon after, fell asleep.

Apparently, the sight of Dad curled up in covers on my bed was the cutest thing EVER to Boris and she snapped some pictures of him, which is why I'm able to share them with you, but I didn't think "cute" when I saw Dad there, stealing sleep from me. I was...well, angry! ...

Until today while I was browsing photos on Mom's camera. Like Boris said, Dad is cute. As I was thinking how cute-looking my Dad is, I came to the realization for the 100th time that he's the only person that I'd be happy with as my Dad.

The other night, I couldn't sleep because it was so cold, and my nose started clogging up, and I couldn't keep the coughs in. Dad heard me coughing and came and asked if I was cold. I told him that I thought the heating system was screwed because it was unnatural for it be this cold. So Dad put his coat and hat on, went outside around the house to see if everything was ok. Apparently, everything was indeed okay with the heating system. I was just feeling the temperature drop--like it usually does past midnight. After reassuring me that everything was ok, Dad brought another blanket, and tucked me in. The next morning, he asked again if I was alright. Dad is the sweetest.

I respect my Dad like nothing else. Childhood memories of Dad are of him waking up early in the morning to pray, his hands tightly pressed against eachother, eyes closed shut, and mouth muttering words of adoration and love to Jesus. Also, when he was an extremely, and unrealistically busy VS and barely had time to eat, he would go on walks with me and hear me and my complicated, 13-year-old-emotions out. When I was going through the toughest years of my life, and when I had lost all vision of living, he fought and lived for me. As a pre-teen, I would always go to my Dad whenever I had nightmares, and I knew he would wake up no matter the hour and no matter how tired he was, and pray for me. He adopted teen-lingo to better understand and communicate with me and sis as our adolescent years budded into full bloom and glory.

Dad had asked me once what "chilling" meant, as I would always give him that response when he would ask what Yuri and I were doing behind locked doors. "Chilling, Dad" was my faithful reply no matter what the activity was--movie viewing, novel reading, junk-food binging, alcohol downing, girl bitching...and other crazy, teen-activity you can think of.
A few days later, Dad came knocking on our locked door, and after letting him in--with exagerated rolling of the eyes and heaving loud sighs of irritation--and trying to act as annoyed as possible, Dad pulled a plastic bag of chips from behind his back that he had bought from the nearby store, and surprised me by using the newest addition to his English vocabulary, "I want to chill!"

I still choke up when I remember what Dad said he was most thankful for at the closing of 2004 as tears wet his cheeks.

Dad, I may sound, and look, and seem angry at life and even at you sometimes, but I want you to know that you are the best Dad, and no other Dad will do. I thank God for giving me someone so loving and understanding as you. Not many ppl out there will be able to raise 12 children the way you did. You are amazing!

And I love you!

No comments:

.