Sunday, May 23, 2010

never date a musician

Eiko says...

I was listening to David Cook on my ZEN today and was admiring his god-given-voice, and I was thinking how cool it would be if the guy I get together with could sing like that. I mean, imagine how way cool that would be?

Um.

On second thoughts, not so cool.

If he could sing like that, that's nice. But it wouldn't be too cool if he had the ability to write songs and sing them too. Because I noticed that artists that write their own songs usually write about the current relationship they are in, how wonderful it is, and also how much it sucks. They also bitch about their break ups in songs--how your smile makes them sick, how they finished setting the last of your pictures on fire, how they are in the process of erasing you from their memory (forever), how they'll never love again, and it's all because of you, etc. And when they're famous, the whole world knows about how much of a bitch/bastard you were for making their life so miserable through that song that they wrote in memory of YOU!! And before you know it, everyone is humming and singing that song, including your friends! Ouch, that would be so annoying!! And woe unto you if that song gets famous and hits the tops! It will be playing in the gas stations, the department stores, on the radio, in commercials, in movies, and everyone will be singing their cover version of it, and they'll be singing about you without even knowing you personally! How freaky is that? If that happened to me, that would ruin me forever! Yikes!!

So, before you completely fall in lust over that rock star you're dating, or that cute country singer that asked you out, ask if they write their own songs. If they do, consider the consequences of the break up.


2 comments:

Sharon said...

Haha! I've thought of that before, too. I guess the same goes for writers/poets, some artists, and pretty much any creative person who lets their emotions show in their work. It can be beautiful, or heart-wrenching, or just plain stinging being the subject of their expressiveness. So I presume..

Eyeliner said...

Indeed!

.