Sunday, May 2, 2010

Cafe Marche updates



Eiko says...

Cafe Marche Updates

To be honest, I didn't think the whole "cafe" idea would really work or take off, but it is indeed working, and I'm happy, and busy, and exhausted, and excited because of it.

HAPPY
because although I abhorred the idea of being in the kitchen baking cookies and whatnot all day originally, the customers really like what they taste and they come back for more! When someone likes what you create enough to pay money for it, and esp. when they keep coming back for more, whether you enjoy creating them or not, is quite satisfying.

Once when I was waitressing, an old man came in and ordered a coffee and a blueberry muffin. He asked for two sugars and no cream. I officially labeled him a 'weirdo'. Nobody, under any circumstances, should put two sugars in one tiny cup of coffee, especially if they are going to junk the cream. Later on while I was wiping the counters, he calls me over and asks,

「お姉ちゃん、このマフィンいくら?」

Then I go,

「はい、マフィンは一つ150円になります。」

Then he goes,

「これ3個ちょうだい。おいしいから。」

Although a stray thought of being responsible for the contribution to the man's waistline did cross my mind, (eating 4 muffins all by yourself does that to you) I instantaneously relabled him from 'weird' to 'totally cool'! I mean, he liked the muffins I baked! Not only did he like them, but he was willing to pay for them!

This dude is now a regular, and has come over 3 times in the past week. Yup. Totally cool.

There was also a mother and her daughter who came by our cafe because they heard from their friend who ate here, that the baked sweets were good. They bought 3 bags full of them!

Stuff like that make me very happy. And 'happy' happens quite often these days.

And 'happy' leads to '

BUSY

When I'm happy because the customers buy the sweets, it makes me very busy because it means more time in the kitchen,...baking. Our oven is small, and it is less then perfect, which means hours in the kitchen baking for the next day. Often this happens from after 10:00 PM all the way till past midnight. I do get time in the day, but when the customers decide to buy more than I originially expected them to, that means baking hours after my 5~10 PM shift.

Naturally, busy leads to

EXHAUSTED

I want and need more sleep. I also want mental and spiritual rest.

But I'm

EXCITED

because things are picking up around here, and the future looks bright. I can see this cafe really going somewhere. We do have regulars, and new people come by our cafe everyday. The fantastic JD and Aich sing on Fridays and Saturdays on the cute little stage we have in the corner from 7:30 to 9:00 PM. This goes well with the alcohol that we serve, and we even had a intoxicated customer dance around to one of them good oldies.

6 comments:

Unknown said...

I hear your muffins are really good! I would buy 4 as well, though I wouldn't eat them all by myself:)

Eyeliner said...

aw, I dunno... you are quite the baker urself, so I can't really boast about my baking skills around you. Heh.

Rhyden said...

sweeett sounds like loads of fun. I feel like i'm missing out. :D

Unknown said...

So proud of you, Eiko-chan!!!!

Isamu T said...

oh look theres another isamu

Eyeliner said...

oh no...I dunno which isamu is which!!

.