Sunday, January 10, 2010

blood, liver, candle light service

Eiko says...

Contrary to popular opinion, I can cook. I'm not exceptionally good at cooking, but I know the basics, and since I find myself in the kitchen a lot more than when I was at T.O.M, I imagine my cooking skills are improving.
I used to hate cooking, and whenever I'd find my name on the schedule slot for dinner or lunch cook in T.O.M Home, my day was ruined. But since coming over here, cooking is actually fun, and something I look forward to in my day. I think it's mainly because I'm only cooking for 8 people, and therefore, a greater variety is possible.
The other day, I pulled out a huge hunk of beef from the freezer and was planning something along the lines of a meat sauce or yakiniku, but to my horror, it turned out to be liver!
I HATE liver! Its smell turns my stomach, it BLEEDS way too much, and the texture makes me wanna puke, PLUS it feels wrong when you're cutting it, as it oozes its way between your fingers and finger nails... *puke*
I was so disappointed about the beef turning out to be liver, that I couldn't even think straight, much less cook the liver nicely. I quickly pulled out some left over chicken, and made a chicken pasta, which turned out nicely. But since I had already defrosted the liver, I had to cook it sooner or later, and that so happened to be today. I heard that soaking liver in milk would take away it's awful smell, and although I had my doubts on the fact that anything could make something so horrible smelling and tasting smell and taste anywhere near edible, it worked, and to my pleasant surprise, my family gobbled it all up, with no left overs for the fridge.



Me in the kitchen
Liver blood galore! Yuck!!!

It bleeds like crazy when you try to cut it.
Japanese phyco!!

And we had candle light service that night. It was delayed due to the work Boris and I had from the 1st to the 3rd, but we still did it and that's what matters.







No comments:

.